Tuesday, January 13, 2009

" And then there were none."
- Agatha Christie

This is the title of my favourite Agatha Christie. Its actually got nothing to do with the entry today. But, I do go through phases when I just don't find lines which can portray the entire feeling. Some people might just understand what I'm trying to say.
Today, as I sat down in front of the television to watch the second 20-20 between Australia and South Africa, I heard the commentators talking about Matthew Hayden retiring. He has been a wonderful player, one of the best openers for Australia, and simply a parameter to compare every new opener with. If he doesn't deserve a farewell entry, I really don't know who does.
This has been talked about for ages. Will he , won't he. A string of poor scores, a patch of awful form and tongues start wagging. Especially when you're Matthew Hayden. But, he has stuck it out once before, to come up with blitzkreig innings everytime he played in the World Cup '07. So I guess, I thought he'd hang in there.
Matthew Hayden has been a phenomenal player. The amount of stability and terror that he got into the opening of the Aussie batting line-up can only be seen in the opening bowler's first delivery. Everytime he came out to bat, you would have people wondering what they'd witness from him. Predictably unpredictable always. I was fortunate to watch all of his innings in WC '07, and, man!, were they awesome!!
For a man of his stature, I guess this sort of a farewell isn't exactly what we would have wished for. But, the Brisbane crowd really hit it off. I haven't witnessed a more wonderful goodbye to such a grand player. You've been an awesome guy, mate! And all we can do is wish for a wonderful and deliciously mouth-watering future for you.
I remember your 66-ball 100 against South Africa in the Group match in WC '07. You've played many innings since then ,and even before that, but that will remain the ultimate favourite always. Followed by the six you hit in Sydney '07 on Day 4, Ashes test 5. It'll always remain etched in our memories for ever.
I took the "And then there were none" line for a reason really. There will be no more 100s n 50s to rave about, from this guy. No more slip catches that will be discussed over the years. All good things end some day, but, with you, I wish they go on forever.
Farewell mate! And Thank You. Our love for you will never fade.

No comments: