Friday, January 30, 2009

" VAMOS!!!"

- Rafael Nadal's trademark word, everytime he wins a point.

He's just too good! From 2005 to 2009, he's improved by more than just leaps and bounds, and especially that first serve. You would have thought that last year's Wimbledon was the best you could get out of the man. But, today, he proved it again. Proved that a guy other than Roger Federer may challenge him, and he'll take the match as seriously, as he would a match against Federer.

The amount of energy the guy has, is awe-inspiring. Even in the last set of today, after 5 hrs of play, he and Verdasco, brought shots out of nowhere. You'd think they had just started the match! It was rather unfortunate that Verdasco double-faulted to finish the match, but, you just have to watch that match without blinking your eye-lids, to see what they managed to come up with.

I did not give Verdasco a chance. I was hoping to catch the highlights of a three-setter, and found myself watching open-mouthedly, the last and probably most entertaining, fifth set. I have to hand it to the guy ( and I mean, Verdasco). You were good. And to get the score to a 6-7, 6-4, 7-6, 6-7, 6-4 required tennis that ,we never thought you'd have! So congrats on a great end to your campaign. You went down fighting, and may I say, in a way 100-fold better than a rejuvenated Andy Roddick ( no disrespect here, but I'd thought he'd give a better challenge).

And to Rafael Nadal, well, what should I say. I'm really not in the position to say anything. Time and again, he's proved how great he is, and today was no exception. Obviuosly, I want him to stop at nothing short of an Australian Open title. Just hoping, it won't be as exciting as Wimbledon 2008. One five-setter per Grand Slam is enough for me! Best of Luck, Rafa! Go ahead! Do it!!!

No comments: