Friday, July 31, 2009

Harry Potter

Happy Birthday To J.K. Rowling and Harry. Assuming that, Harry's life goes alongside mine ( I've read all the books during the period of 11-17yrs), you turn 19 today. Stupid really, forget the age. Just a very, very Happy Birthday.
Another year goes by, and, so does my wish of actually writing to J.K. Rowling thanking her for a book that has been a companion all through the formative years, and will be one, forever. So, I have decided that I'll write it here. I don't care when she reads this. I don't even know whether she will read it or not. But, an attempt is being made here. So here goes.
I was given my first Harry Potter ( strangely, it wasn't Philosopher's Stone. I got Prisoner of Azkaban) on my 11th birthday. My uncle had been to the UK, where the Harry Potter mania was most felt. He thought it would be the perfect gift for his readinng-crazy niece. It sounds very funny now to talk about it. But I didn't even know about Harry Potter then. He asked me about it, and gave me the book. I just stared at it.......wondering whether I'd like this new author. And I started off with it during my Diwali vacations. I was hooked. My eyes pained, my head became a little woozy because of the continuous reading, I had to read a few pages again and again because I couldn't fit anything more. But I was hooked. One of the books talks about a cursed book that one went on reading forever ( with it being stuck to the witch's nose). I was probably struck by the curse ( though I wouldn't call it that) too. I was insanely in love with it.
Going back to school, I started talking about it, and thought there were a hundred others written by the same author ( I was that clueless). Well, my knowledge improved and soon, I became one of those freaks who can't live without reading at least a page of it in the day. I read the rest of the books, and finally finished when I was 17, with Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows. So, Harry's journey has sort of resembled mine.

Guess that is the reason I consider all the characters to be close friends, even deriving inspiration from Hermione's scholarly and know-it-all ways to improve upon my studying. Reading Sirius dying was a blast out of the blue. It shook me badly. I haven't been able to read that part in the Ministry again. Dumbledore's death was beyond grief. But, the book that takes the Honour in the amount of tears drawn, has to be Deathly Hallows. Reading it, knowing it's all going to end is hard enough. Add on the people she killed off, it wasn't a happy experience. But, it is a wonderful book, and just narrowly misses the top spot to Prisoner ( because that it my very first Harry Potter, and that makes it extra special).
Harry Potter has been something like a second life to me. I read it everytime I get upset, everytime I'm angry, or even when I'm happy. When I don't have a book to read, I just pick up a Harry Potter and start off. It is incredibly calming and purifying. And I NEVER get bored of it. I have evolved as a person in the past 6-7 years. I owe a lot of things. And Harry Potter is one of them. I owe J.K. Rowling so much more than I could ever say or even do. She has created a world that we all want to be a part of. And, it doesn't matter that we aren't a part of it. Because the magical web her words spin everytime she writes, just entangles us in that world whenever and wherever.

I know I'll be reading this story to my children, and grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. I know I'll always gift a Harry Potter to a child, before anything else, such is the impact of this wonderful series. Joanne, you created this enchanting paradise in the 20th and 21st centuries. But, it will be discussed for many more centuries to come. As a Harry Potter freak, I feel honoured to have been able to read it again and again and again. And, every July 31st, I feel great pride in wishing you and Harry the best there can be.

Thank You!! Have a Wonderful Year ahead!!!

No comments: